Sunday, April 09, 2006

tell me one truth...

how insane is it that we sometimes wake up sad. its like being grumpy when you wake up or something. i hate that. i feel crazy for not being able to see how many good things there are about life. how many endless wonders and beauties. i know that one reason for this is something that i think most people struggle with and that is not being happy with where you are at in life. it has nothing to do with your actual life and if things really are good or not. it is a way that we can allow ourselves to think sometimes. i know that this is something that is only within myself so there is nothing external that can fully change this. it has to come within me. why is it so easy to sometimes focus on the negative and leave all of everything else out of your focus? i seriously envy people that don't struggle with this. i catch myself thinking man, if i could just be any where but where i am sitting right this moment. if i could just be with these friends. that just makes it worse!! i need to take the damn reigns of my life and start making myself see good and beauty in every situation no matter what i am doing!

3 comments:

rosie said...

One Truth (I owe you): "We have found him, He has found us. We are in Him, He in us. There is nothing further to look for, except the deepening of this life we already possess. Be content." Merton. How often I have to reming myself of this truth.

The Talbot Family said...

let me add to that (if may be so bold, or humble, or whatever)
i don't think it's the addition of any "good thoughts" but the discarding of the bad. we have heaped upon us the weight of worry, the fear and doubt of daily life. and all of it creeps in so subtly in it's craft that we simply find ourselves unhappy and aren't sure why. i been thinking a lot about this too derek.
can't wait to see you at the show in sb. love ya,
j

Diana said...

what has helped me is similar to what Josh mentioned, I am letting go of the bad thoughts and replacing them with "all that is lovely". I judge people less and love people more because what I think about most of the time isn't the sin or pain in this world, but that God so loved the world...

I don't have the luxury of getting depressed anymore. Too many people depend on me to stay strong in the Lord. Besides, this life isn't about me...

Every time I want to get depressed I remember what that psycho Dr. Laura said, "Whenever you are lonely, do something for somebody else." I remember that Jesus did not come here to be served but to serve and give His life as a ransom for many.

i'm praying for you, Derek. Throw up a prayer or two for me, would you?