So I need to get through this and get caught up. I want to document all of the things we are doing and experiencing but I want to be able to write about all the stuff when it is fresh you know? So we were at the ‘seedy inn’ I had just laid down and it felt like I had laid my head down and suddenly sat up with a tired gasp in the same movement and breath. It was still dark and everyone was asleep but something didn’t feel right. I had a weird feeling that it was later than it should have been. It is so weird how our bodies actually have clocks because it was indeed 6:30 a.m. Our plane was leaving as we were slowly and painfully waking up. I guess someone had turned the alarm clock off in their sleep. It’s situations like these that I honestly shudder to think what we would do without brent. We’ve learned by now that in situations such as these to just keep quiet and do whatever he says. Usually what that looks like is us all sitting on our luggage and guitars looking like zombies in the middle of a parking lot or a terminal or a curb and waiting for brent’s orders. Next he will frantically appear out of nowhere with his laptop underarm and his cell phone and sidekick sticking out of both front pockets. He will have all kinds of papers that he is searching through; usually a mixture of maps and plane tickets and schedules. This time he ran up and said “ok I got us another flight but it’s to Chicago and it leaves in 2 minutes so we have to run!” in these situations it would be genius to just have all of my luggage and my bass duct taped to my arms so that all I have to do is get up and start running. I would just let my arms drag. Besides being numb from exhaustion and not having been able to catch up on sleep for three days straight, I was still pretty toasty from uhhh.. four hours ago. Now that I think about it I probably really did look like a zombie. So basically the day turned into about fifteen hours of solid traveling chaos. Every once in a while these situations are amazing. When you are that tired there is no point being grumpy or rude to each other. You either don’t talk or you realize that you are so delirious that everything is quite pleasingly hilarious. On one of the flights I somehow ended up getting a whole row to myself and the supposed best seat on the plane. These kind of things are like winning the lottery when you fly ‘shit class’ as much as we do. The lady who takes your tickets just before you board was this confusingly excited and jolly old lady; either that or she has a hobby of collecting good seat tickets because she was so excited for me to have this seat that she was still congratulating me even as I was walking onto the plane. It was a good seat though I cannot lie. Obviously we all had similarly funny interactions with this lady so we were all had regale each other once we all got back together. Brent, who is probably a good midget’s worth taller than I, told me that when he gave her his ticket she fretfully explained to him, “oh my goodness! this is not a good seat at all. You should trade seats with that one short boy. He has the best seat on the plane and you are going to have no leg room at all!”
So in the spirit of our giddy delirium we eventually developed and character for her with a funny voice and all. We even made videos of it.
We were so late that not only did we have to cancel the radio show we were going to do, but we were also going to be playing a radio festival that night. we were originally openers on the bill but brent managed to finagle a later, headlining spot for us so that we could still play. This ended up working out amazingly. I am not exaggerating one bit when I say that we got right off the van that picked us up with our guitars and walked onto the stage. There was probably about two minutes of set up and then we played. It ended up being a genius show. Since nobody knows about us in Columbus this festival was perfect because there were thousands of people just walking around. It was our job to get them to stop at our stage and quite a few people did. I’d say there were about 700 people watching by the end of the set. They loved it too! There could have been no better end to such a crazy day.
4 comments:
i just went thru your pics, it was really weird, I thought about the trip to bridge school festival a couple years ago, that was so fun, I don't know where I'm going with this, but cool pics
me and matt were laughing together at the duct taped arms, picturing your gestures. oooooohhhhhhh boyo boyo boyo boyo boyo boy....
me and matt were laughing together at the duct taped arms, picturing your gestures. oooooohhhhhhh boyo boyo boyo boyo boyo boy....
damnit
Post a Comment