2nd big mistake of the semester: i realized that i'm the dorky older guy in my classes now. in every class so far i've gotten there 15 minutes early and set out all of my books on the desktop, then i attentively sit through the whole class keeping eye contact and 'half-smiling' whenever the professor looks over at me. (below you can find an example of what i mean by "half-smile") when all of the students arrive i look around and realize that nobody buys all of their books until the second or third class. i also realize that all of these kids went to high school together as they all walk in and give each other knocks and i turn around in my seat and, again, half smile at them. in three of my four classes, on the first day, the professors have made a joke about me having my books all set out and ready or they've walked over to my desk and picked up my book and said to the class, "so whenever you can get around to it, this is what the text looks like, you can probably find it for much cheaper somewhere other than in the bookstore" (where i bought all of my books a week ago). i've quickly realized that being a white guy with a beard who isn't a "wigga" makes me a minority. which is kind of cool actually. it does make for a few embarrassing situations, like when you stand up in front of your class and list "nature" as one of your interests and the class giggles as if you are making fun of hippies or something (i actually still am not 100% sure in which context they were laughing at me). but i do know that it is cool and funny to say that, if you had to eat one thing for a year, that you would eat "like, skittles and shit." i said i would eat sushi or oatmeal because it would be healthy and nutritional enough to get you through a year. so yeah, i'm that guy and i love it!

half smile
5 comments:
First off that picture is great I can envision you in one of my classes, and we probably would never talk to each other (Laugh). If you don't like being the awkward older guy in your classes, try acting like the tough recovering drug addict who just turned his life around. You can gain their respect through intimidation (Like in prison). Throw out some mad-dogs. Also when you give an answer just look around at everyone else with a "yeah I knew that, what are you going to do about it" attitude. By the end they will probably all look up to you.
Two things...
1.) I love that you are that guy. Who could ever be annoyed when you're just so loveable?
2.) I'm sure glad you're blogging more these days! Hooray!
I agree, I love your blogs
derek.. i've read this a few times while at work, and had to suppress my laughter every time.
mostly because i totally am "that" girl who sets out all my books and a blue pen and pencil and an already open notebook before the prof. even gets there.
Good stuff old friend. I think you've put down my favorite post of all time. I was that old dude with a beard in class for years, but your half-smile is way more badass than anything I ever threw out in class.
Post a Comment