Tuesday, July 13, 2010

new jobby job

any of you who know me well, know that I love to bitch about how lame my job is. well I've been searching far-and-wide over the past few weeks for something new. The other day I called up my old professor of a sailing class that I took through LBCC and asked him to keep his ear to the preverbal ground. Lo and behold, he was in the middle of looking for someone who could help out around the sailing center doing various tasks and chores! It isn't substantial enough pay or hours to replace Olives, but there are a lot of awesome reasons why this job is... awesome: I get to work outside, by the ocean with my hands; I am learning more about sailing everyday being able to work on the boats, no customers, it's not Olives, and it keeps me busy. During the week everyday I am at the sailing center all morning then I go to Olives to close.
I think that sometimes it is important to keep yourself busy to get through a time of waiting. I was starting to kind of loose it there. I always trip out on how big of a part perceptions play in the paths we take. I think I need to shift a few of my perceptions but that is something that has to be changed from the outside in right? I mean, I think it is not something that we can just decide one day that we are going to start looking at life differently. That is why art, reading, travel and meeting new people/getting deep with people is so important.
So I joined in on a little yard sale my aunt and uncle had the other day and I was blown away by what a liberating experience it was. There is something very addictive about selling things that you think you have a sentimental attachment to and then realizing that when these things are gone that you don't even miss them and you have a few more bucks to put some gas in your tank. These are things that just sit. DVDs, books, pairs of shoes that I spent too much on and never wore, a broken i pod. They sit in boxes and on shelves. I go throughout my day and they sit in the dark and quiet and slowly gather dust. They will still sit long after I am gone. Then there will be no sentimental attachment to them. Why do I leech myself to things? They provide no life. Only momentary use or interest.
Anyways, I could go off on a super tangent right now, I won't. You get the gist of it. But I am liking this feeling and I want to pursue it further. I don't want to think about "what if I need this later or I regret getting rid of this or that." I don't even remember most of the stuff that I sold at the yard sale. Now I have this feeling of lightness though that I think I need. I am single, career-less and my life is very liquid and transitional right now. I don't want to be weighed down by things when my only choice in life right now is movement. It makes no sense. I think I am drawn to the recklessness of it all too. So, here's hail to the unknown. Hi Ho!

No comments: