Wednesday, August 27, 2008

folkie through and through

last night I went to Delta Spirit's (2nd) Cd release party at Spaceland.  It was a good time and felt good to get out and see friends and be social.  A.A. Bondy and Dawes opended up the show and I'll be damned if they aren't some of the most talented sonzobitches I'd seen in a good while.  While everyone was was loudly talking and drinking whatever the hip LA kids drink these days, I found myself mesmerized by Bondy.  A thought struck me like the swinging barn door, "I am really into folk music and I have always been!"  I honestly don't think that is a very cool thing to say.  Not even in the, 'it's cool by means of trying not to be cool and hoping none of your friends realize' kind of way.  But I do.  I will probably end up a hairy, sweater wearing, coffee drinking (but still trying to make the switch to tea),  jr. college teacher in some heavily forested town going to folk festivals with my saggy-boobed, home made dress wearing, always been a tea drinking, social working, green thumb wife.  ok maybe I took that too far.  but I think I made my point that there is something that I like no matter what negative connotations I have with the stereotype. I would love to say that I own up to it and I am 'proud of it dammit!'  and carpe diem!  and be who you are!  but I am just a weird/ kind of awkward mixture of many things and, though I am not going to shout it from the mountain tops, I am ok with it.  and that is not bad!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

you are a beautiful person derek

Matt Pool said...

I've got saggy boobs, and I'll wear a homemade dress for 5 bucks.

The Talbot Family said...

Bob Dylan, tobacco pipes, guitars; all very bad things. I don't know what you were thinking.

but I'll chip in another $5 to see Matt in that dress.

rosie said...

i can see it. growing a paunchy stomach and a wirey beard. being that guy that always has a used piece of tissue and some half eaten toast in his pocket. and i will love it.

tim said...

i'm down. i'm over l.a. anyways. i think you can aim a little higher in the female department... i didn't know he was playing that night. i would have boxed charlie up and come!

i feel the same about folk and real punk rock. i think they're very similar, both very naked, raw and powerfully honest. i'd like to star a punk/folk band...