THE COLLISION OF GOD AND SIN
1 Peter 2:24
It’s sometimes a bit off putting when you wake up and want to sit up in bed and open your devotional and have God bend down and give you a little “good morning” kiss on the forehead and say, “you stay here where it is cozy, I’m going to go get you some breakfast in bed;” and instead he opens the drapes and says “get up you lazy bitch! there’s life to be lived out there!”
That’s how this one kind of hit me today. Good ol Oswald, always keeping my on my toes! So here is what really struck me about todays devotion. I think that it is easier to live your Christian life out theoretically than actually. Maybe that is a bit obvious, let me explain. Every time I open up My Utmost, I am expecting to have these great ideas and revelations pop out at me. Kind of a strong cup of coffee that makes you feel clear about who you are and where you want to go with your heart and mind for the day. And Chambers is so in touch with the humanness of man that he just nails me all the time whether it is conviction or encouragement. I think this is a good thing but too much of something can be a bad thing. I love ideas. What I have a hard time with is the rubber meeting the road. So I sit here and read this devotion and it feels weird to literally think about the idea of the cross as something that is practical for this very moment. It is easy to romanticize the cross as some history lesson. But to read and then look around at the people going about their day, as I am about to pick up and do as well, and think that the cross is for me and them at this very moment! Man, it makes me feel so lazy! Not trying to beat myself up here but this is a good gage for understanding where my heart is.
1 comment:
thats awesome, i never read my utmost but i just happened to open it up that same morning and read that devotional. the line that captured me was something about how Christ paid the "expensive cost" for our salvation that is so free and easy for us, something like/about that. and i have the same thoughts you did.
Post a Comment